Curtains are recommended to be cleaned twice a year, and also if noticeable dirt or stains appear. Often the thought of having to do their laundry on their own causes only negative emotions. Indeed, the process is not very simple. However, know a few important secrets, for cleaning your curtains while maintaining all the qualities of the fabric.
Curtains are called window curtains of various styles and appearances, which serve both to protect from the sun and prying eyes, and perform a decorative function. Curtains can be made from a variety of fabrics, depending on the composition of which you need to choose a cleaning method. Be sure to ask when buying curtains, what care is recommended by the manufacturer. And we will offer you some general advice.
Tulle Curtain Care
Perhaps, this type of curtains will give you the least trouble. However, there are some precautions to be taken here.
First, you need to shake off the tulle. Of course, you should not do this in the room, otherwise, all the dust that has accumulated in the fabric will scatter around the apartment. Go outside or onto a balcony and shake the curtain a few times.
Many are concerned about the question of how to get rid of dust and stains on the curtains, fearing to damage delicate matter. Therefore, they often resort to the help of specialists. But it is not at all necessary – the curtains can be cleaned at home.
It will not take much time and effort to vacuum or brush off the dust, cobwebs with a special soft brush or whisk. If your vacuum cleaner has a soft nozzle designed for cleaning fabrics, then its careful use is acceptable. If deeper cleaning of curtains is required, then it is still more reliable and better to perform the task in dry cleaning.
Hand Wash Tulle
Soak the tulle for several hours in water. Use a small amount of soapy water or other mild detergents. Make sure that the water is not hot, its temperature should not be higher than 40 degrees.
When all the main dirt and dust have departed, the soapy water must be drained and collected in a new way. Then stretch the fabric with light compressive movements. At the same time, it is not necessary to rub or stretch it intensively. It is important to rinse the tulle well, first in warm and then in cold water.
Machine Washable Tulle
Here you can use only the delicate wash mode. The spin function must be turned off – this is very important, otherwise you can simply ruin the product. Choose a low-temperature setting – 30 degrees. You can pre-place your tulle in a special bag or mesh for washing, it will be washed more carefully and wrinkle less.
So that deep folds and creases do not remain on the fabric, you need to carefully shake the wet tulle and do not wring it out. Then you can immediately hang it on the windows. As the fabric dries, it will flatten out. If the tulle is still much wrinkled, and the folds are not smoothed out, you can iron the fabric at a low temperature using steam.
What else is Important
- Delicate and thin tulle is categorically contraindicated for intense mechanical stress during washing.
- The old yellow shade of tulle can be eliminated by soaking it in a special bleaching solution: you need to take 1 tablespoon of ammonia and 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide in a bucket of water. To protect your skin from aggressive exposure, it is recommended to soak tulle in such a solution with gloves.
- The snow-white shade of tulle will allow you to give a simple grandmother’s remedy – when rinsing, a little blue is added to the water.
- Hard hot water can greatly spoil the appearance of the product, making the fabric dull, with an unattractive yellow tint. Therefore, cool or warm water, previously softened with special means, is used.
Curtain Care Basics
- The first and safest thing you can do to take care of your curtains is to air them regularly. Open the windows or balcony door wide and make a draft in the apartment, leave it for a couple of hours. This will help remove dust from the fabric and refresh the curtain.
- Of course, one airing is not enough. Therefore, a vacuum cleaner can come to your aid. Use special nozzles for cleaning textiles or wrap the nozzle with a thin cloth and secure it with a regular hair tie. This is done so that the inflexible bristles of a regular nozzle do not damage the fabric of the curtain.
- Steam cleaning is an excellent solution, but it may not apply to all products. When buying, be sure to find out which methods are allowed by the manufacturer.
- Clean your room regularly. The cleaner your house is, the less dust will accumulate on the curtains.
- Do not forget to dust the cornices, rings and other fastening elements of the curtains.
Rules to Follow When Washing Curtains
- Shake the curtains before washing to remove dust.
- If your curtains are heavily soiled, apply a pre-soak. Sometimes this procedure must be carried out several times, especially if the pollution is very strong.
- Do not mix different fabrics when hand or machines wash.
- Only fill the washing machine drum to half of the maximum level. Only in this way will you ensure effective and gentle washing of your curtains.
- If stains appear on the curtains, first treat them in the recommended way, and then wash the product completely.
- Be sure to pay attention to a thorough rinsing. Detergent residue on curtains and tulle can ruin their appearance and contribute to sun fading and staining.
Which curtains cannot be washed?
In these cases, and also if you do not know how to wash your curtain, it is better to entrust this task to professionals. So, you will pay money for dry cleaning, but you will keep your curtain. Remember, you can invite experts to your home, and you do not have to remove and take your curtains somewhere.
It’s convenient and safe.
- Roller blinds should only be dry cleaned, washing will spoil the quality of the product.
- In most cases, it is not recommended to wash the brocade.
- You can not wash moire-dense silk or semi-silk fabric.
- Washing does not apply to hard pelmets and tapestries.
- Silk and velvet are fabrics that require very delicate and proper cleaning, so it’s best not to experiment with washing on your own.